Traditionally, potential sellers of real estate have avoided doing so during the winter months, especially in November and December. Because the last month of the year is a time of many religious, social, and cultural celebrations, most people feel they are too busy to deal with real estate matters and/or are convinced that the market is pretty much dormant until at least early spring. Not so, say numerous Realtors! Not only do many folks have vacation time in December and are thus free to house shop, but the slower months are often the ones where buyers are really serious.
Some of the reasons behind the belief that December is a good time to sell your home include:
- Less competition. It is probable that fewer homes will be available to potential buyers in the winter. Many would-be sellers don’t want to disrupt their holidays or deal with inclement weather, so buyers have fewer homes from which to choose.
- More serious buyers: It is safe to assume that those who house-hunt in winter truly want to find a home.
- Business moves. January is traditionally the biggest time for job transfers, a month where employees have to move and can’t wait until spring. They have to buy now—and you’re there to capture that market.
- Taxes: Many potential buyers want to settle before the end of the year for tax reasons.
- Time: Buyers have more time to look over the holidays and can come during the weekdays.
- Flexibility: You can show your home at times convenient for you and not disrupt any holiday activities.
- Efficiency: While the malls and retail stores may be packed, lenders and title companies aren’t as busy and can process loans faster. Because winter months are historically slower in the mortgage business, paperwork can be completed more quickly.
Other advantages of winter selling deal with staging your home for buyer appeal.
- A home tastefully adorned with holiday decorations contributes ambiance and positive emotion.
- The aroma of baked goods and the crackle of a fire definitely work in your favor and contribute to creating a cozy and comfortable atmosphere.
If you are considering the possibility of a winter sale for your property, contact us to determine the best course of action for your particular circumstances! We’ll certainly do all we can to make your holidays happy and bright!